The Village of Tiverton existed within the geographical boundary of Bruce Township. Initially, this area was included in “The United Townships of Kincardine and the remaining Townships in the County of Bruce”, which was a union of 11 townships in 1852 and 1853, with the Kincardine Township area known as the “senior township” and the main hub for municipal government. This continued until the other townships were large enough to split off and incorporate as separate municipalities. On January 1, 1856, the Township of Bruce incorporated as an independent municipality.
The Village of Tiverton incorporated in 1879. In 1998, Tiverton unincorporated and became part of the Township of Bruce.
The Township of Bruce, the Township of Kincardine, and the Town of Kincardine amalgamated to form the Township of Kincardine-Bruce-Tiverton on January 1, 1999. After the first election of the new municipal council, the name changed to the Municipality of Kincardine.