Ripley, ON

Within the geographical boundaries of Huron Township, the community of Ripley was named with the establishment of a post office there in 1856. In 1874, the post office name was changed to “Dingwall,” but the railway which arrived that year retained the name “Ripley;” the post office was renamed Ripley in 1880. The community became a Police Village in 1898, governed by a Board of Trustees. In 1925, Ripley incorporated as a Village and took on a formal council.

On January 1, 1999, Huron Township amalgamated with Kinloss Township and the villages of Lucknow and Ripley to form the Township of Huron-Kinloss.

Robertson, Norman. “The History of the County of Bruce and of the minor municipalities therein.” Toronto: William Briggs, 1906.

For more information about this site contact us or visit us online at Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre.

© 2015 Bruce County Museum & Cultural Centre. Ownership of the images on this site belongs to the BCM&CC or individuals as identified.

Close Menu