Within Elderslie Township, the community of Chesley gradually developed. The village lots were surveyed in 1868, the same year in which a post office opened and the community formerly known as Sconeville was assigned the name Chesley.
Development increased in the 1870s and Chesley was incorporated as a Village pursuant to County by-law dated December 12, 1879. Chesley’s population continued to grow and it became the Town of Chesley in 1906.
In January 1999, Chesley, Paisley, Elderslie Township, Arran Township, and Tara amalgamated to form the Municipality of Arran-Elderslie in January 1999.
a) Mika,Nick and Helma Mika. “Places in Ontario: Their Name Origins and History.” Belleville: Mika Publishing Company, 1977.
b) Robertson, Norman. “The History of the County of Bruce and of the minor municipalities therein.” Toronto: William Briggs, 1906.