Amabel Township was located at the base of the Bruce Peninsula, Bruce County, Ontario, Canada. The township was surveyed in 1855, with lands offered for sale at auction in Owen Sound, ON in September 1856. Conditions of settlement were not attached to these lots resulting in a large number of lots initially being purchased by speculators instead of settlers. The land sale, and subsequent administration of the area was conducted by the Department of Indian Affairs.
For municipal purposes, Amabel Township was united with Arran Township to the south in December 1856. Albemarle Township also joined the union in 1858. The three townships remained united, with Arran Township as the senior township, until January 1, 1861 when Arran Township separated and the United Townships of Amabel and Albemarle formed as a separate municipal corporation pursuant to Bruce County by-law dated September 26, 1860. That union was dissolved in 1870 and Amabel Township became a separate municipal entity.
Within the geographical boundaries of Amabel Township, two communities reached the status of village, with one incorporating as a town. Wiarton was incorporated as a village by special Act of Parliament on March 5, 1880. Wiarton became a town on January 1, 1894. Hepworth was established as a police village pursuant to Bruce County and Grey County by-laws passed in December 1899 and January 1890. In 1907 Hepworth was incorporated as a village thereafter electing its own village council and reeve.
On January 1, 1999, the Town of South Bruce Peninsula formed through an amalgamation of Amabel Township, Albemarle Township, the Village of Hepworth, and the Town of Wiarton.
Robertson, Norman. “The History of the County of Bruce and of the minor municipalities therein.” Toronto: William Briggs, 1906.